I love coconut, it loves me too-but not in a figure flatter loving way; more like a ‘let me help your thighs juggle’ kind of a way….And that’s where this cake comes in AND it’s so so worth those extra 20 zillion miles that are on my ‘to do’ list.
I used the recipe from here:
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter-soft.
- 1 cup coconut syrup-the stuff that they make Italian sods from and flavored coffee-yeah that stuff, buy-use it-love it.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Butter cream frosting-use half cream half coconut syrup to make it
- 1 jar lemon curd.
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
2. Whip eggs whites until they are light fully and hold a firm peak.
3. In a mixing bowl, blend together butter, coconut syrup and sugar. Beat together until light and fully, like 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the egg yokes and extracts. Beat again for a few minutes.
5. Mix in the flour and butter milk, mix just until combined.
6. Fold in the egg whites and 2 cups of shredded coconut.
7. Pout into parchment lined pans and bake at 350 until done, try something like 36 minutes if you are using 2 9 inch pans.
8. Allow cakes to completely cook, this is always a difficult step for me but it really helps.
9. When cakes are cooled layer the lemon curd between the later and wrap the whole thing in a generous later of coconut infused butter cream and press the remaining shredded coconut to the butter cream.
10. Share with your best friends and me
This was my version of this one: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coconut-Layer-Cake-102696