Today was one of the most frighting days of the year for me. It happens every year on July 20th. All I want to do is find a deep dark cave and stay in for days. It’s both Thomas and my fathers birthday today. They claim not to care about the day….
I had my Dad over for dinner. I had a can of hearts of palm in the cupboard. The following menu is what that can turned into:
Pepper N.Y. Steak with Meyer Lemon Bur Blanc
Corn On The Cobb with Parmesan
Shrimp and Heart of Palm Salad with Avocado, Cucumber, Water Chestnuts, Red onions and meyer lemon-honey dressing
Meyer Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Mango sorbet
Meyer Lemon Bur Blanc
2 Meyer lemon
3/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 Tbl. honey
1 stick butter, cut into cubes, chilled
1. Zest and juice the lemon
2. Place 1 tablespoon of zest and all the juice into a small pot.
3. Add the wine and vinegar.
4. Simmer until the mixture has reduced by 3/4.
5. Whisk in the butter in 3 stages.
6. Simmer together for 5 minutes.
7. Yum yum-grab a straw.
N.Y. Pepper Steak
2 New York Steaks
2 Tbl fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 Tbl sea salt
1 Tbl butter
1. Mix together the salt, sugar and pepper.
2. Crust the meat with the salt and pepper mixture.
3. Let the steaks sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
4. Broil for 7 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, flip the meat over. Carefully rub the butter on the side of the meat hat is facing up.
6. Return the steaks to the broiler and broil for another 7 minutes.
7. Remove meat from the oven allow to cool for 5 minutes.
8. Bath the meat with meyer lemon bur blanc and savoy every last morsel.